Saturday, June 02, 2012

Be Still?

Psalms 46:8-11 NET
(8)  Come! Witness the exploits of the LORD,
    who brings devastation to the earth!
(9)  He brings an end to wars throughout the earth;
    he shatters the bow and breaks the spear;
    he burns the shields with fire.
(10)  He says, "Stop your striving and recognize that I am God!
    I will be exalted over the nations! I will be exalted over the earth!"
(11)  The LORD who commands armies is on our side!
    The God of Jacob is our protector! (Selah)

Psalms 46:10 KJV
(10)  Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth.

Context is everything isn’t it?  In this verse, so beloved by mystics, we see from the context that God is addressing the nations who are raging against Him (compare Psalms 2:1-2).  If I could loosely paraphrase verse 10 it would be “Stop fighting and learn that I – Jehovah God am Supreme!”.  It has nothing – I repeat – nothing to do with the type of meditation being promoted today where one empties one’s mind and has some trance experience.

Of the commentaries I surveyed, not one said the verse had anything to do with meditation practices.  Not one.  I looked at Barnes, Believer’s Bible Commentary, Bible Knowledge Commentary, Expositor’s Bible Commentary, Gill, Nelson’s New Illustrated Bible Commentary, Keil & Delitzsch, and Pulpit Commentary.

The next time you hear this verse being used to justify mysticism and mind emptying rituals consider the reliability of the teacher.

No comments: