Tuesday, May 29, 2012

The Holy Spirit comes when…

John 14:16-18 ESV
(16)  And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, to be with you forever,
(17)  even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, for he dwells with you and will be in you.
(18)  "I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you.

John 20:22 ESV
(22)  And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit.

Jesus ascended on the 40th day after Passover.  Pentecost is fifty days after Passover.  Did Jesus leave His disciples alone for 10 days? Or did He impart the Holy Spirit to them before He left earth?  I would contend that Jesus did not leave His disciples alone for ten days.

Now the question becomes – what happened on Pentecost?

Matthew 3:11 ESV
(11)  "I baptize you with water for repentance, but he who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.

Luke 24:49 ESV
(49)  And behold, I am sending the promise of my Father upon you. But stay in the city until you are clothed with power from on high."

Acts 1:4-5 ESV
(4)  And while staying with them he ordered them not to depart from Jerusalem, but to wait for the promise of the Father, which, he said, "you heard from me;
(5)  for John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now."

Acts 2:1-4 ESV
(1)  When the day of Pentecost arrived, they were all together in one place.
(2)  And suddenly there came from heaven a sound like a mighty rushing wind, and it filled the entire house where they were sitting.
(3)  And divided tongues as of fire appeared to them and rested on each one of them.
(4)  And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit gave them utterance.

The bible never says that they “received” the Holy Spirit on the day of Pentecost.  It clearly says they were baptized in the Spirit.  Verse four of Acts two defines what that means

  1. Filled with the Spirit
  2. Speaking in tongues

Thus, there is a difference between receiving the Holy Spirit (which I believe happens at the moment of salvation) and being baptized in the Spirit. 

No comments: